Cobot: AUBO-i Series
About AUBO Robotics
AUBO Robotics collaborative robot AUBO-i5 is a six axis, 5 kg payload, 924 mm reach lightweight industrial robot made for human centric agile manufacturing. This collaborative robot is also known as a Cobot, it can work closely within a human workspace without safety equipment, depending on a risk assessment. It is user friendly, flexible, low cost and very easy to move, re-deploy and can be plugged into a regular 110 – 230 V AC wall socket to run. No programing skills are needed to set up through hand guiding and have the robot running in various high mix or short run applications. AUBO-i5 small foot print has a huge benefit for any size company’s production cost do to the floor space floor space premium cost. AUBO Robotics help companies gain competitive advantage in a manufacturing environment while reducing dangerous and repetitive tasks performed by workers today.
AUBO Robotics manufactures a lightweight intelligent collaborative six degree of freedom robot, the AUBO-i5. This robot arm was specially designed with important functions from the start, combining state of the art technology with user friendliness to make this a collaborative robot (Co-bot) for any application. Robotic automation is no longer out of range for small to midsize companies.
The user-friendly setup facilitates fast ROI in real production environments so employees without programing skills can adapt this robot for most high mix or small batch applications. Hand-guiding allows the operator to teach / program the robot way points manually or using a teach pendant, both require no programing skills.
The open source architecture enables the Robot Operating System (ROS) to be supported through an API for industrial, research and academic uses. ROS-Package: Aubo Robot / This repository provides ROS support for the AUBO Robots. AUBO uses Lua communication protocol, user data values cannot be created or modified in Lua, only through the C API. This guarantees the integrity of data owned by the host program. Aubo robotics provides academic institutions with safe, cost effective and functional robotic equipment to accelerate technologies and innovation in all aspects of academia.
The AUBO robot uses the CAN bus network to communicate between joints. This offers un-parallel versatility to configure this robot from 3 to 7 DOFs. This modular design also enables users to alter the number of links and the length between joints to fit custom applications. Low cost of ownership and high positional repeatability are some of the other criteria that makes up the outstanding features of this robot. Aubo Robotics holds several core patents and has strategic cooperation with several companies leveraging the best of all new technologies.
Safety features for the AUBO-i5 include compact light weight frame, rounded edges, low inertia servo motors, dual encoders that include an absolute and a magnetics encoder. Safety functions include adjustable speed and force limiting design, emergency stop buttons located on control box and teach pendant. Safety certifications include ISO 10218-1:2011, ISO 12100:2010 which is harmonized with ANSI RIA 15.06-2012, ISO 13849-1:2008, ISO 60204-1:2006 + A1:2009, ISO 13849-1:2008 PLd, EMC 2011/65/EU, Machine directive 2006/42/EC, CE, NRTL and KCs marking. Safety is a concern for everyone and a risk assessment is required whenever a human closely with a robot. A transient contact chart in the annex of ISO / TR 15066 must be used to determine the robots maximum speed.
Collaborative Robot Products
· New robots
Some places where you may see Aubo-i5:
· Pick and place
· Machine tending
· Pharmaceutical and medical labs
· Research and development
· Guide to teach (inverse kinematics motion planning), this manual operation of the robot
enables quick and easily program the robot by demonstration without any programing skills.
· Works side by side with human operator without safety fence, laser or sensors (after a risk
assessment is preformed).
· Teach pendent user interface for programing (forward kinematics) enables online programing
and simulation via a touch screen tablet.
· Lightweight, flexible, easy to re-purpose this robot weighs in under 24kg
· Designed in accordance with PLd and ISO 10218-1 (5.10.5 power and force limiting) safety
requirements and compliant with most all specifications for collaborative robot operation.
· Power and force limiting design brings robot to a protective stop if limits are exceeded or a
collision is detected. Speed and force can be adjusted to fit and optimize any application easily.
· Sensors imbedded in motor drives provide real-time feedback to prevent dangerous
· Emergency stop buttons are positioned on teach pendent and control box with a braking
distance less than 1mm.
Open Source Architecture
· CAN bus network used in this robot for multiple microcontrollers to communicate with each
· ROS (Robot Operating System) is supported though API.
· Hardware adopts CAN bus protocols with open I/O interface extensions.
· Easily integrate robot into existing production systems.
Return on investment (ROI)
· Low cost of ownership, no programing skills needed, and ease of integration into a system all
add up to a quick return on your investment the average ROI is 3 to 4 months.
· Short run, high mix environment job like Lab automation or machine tending are prime
examples of industries needing fast redeployment.
· Floor space is a premium cost at most companies usually more than the equipment. A small
foot print, light weight robot will be a huge benefit for any size companies cost of production.
· Repurpose, redeploy and or reinvent applications with the same robot, change the number of
degrees of freedom, joints and tubes are modular making it easy to repair as well as
· Vision systems can be integrated into controller.
· Software system based on cloud platform management that realizes remote maintenance,
fault diagnosis and online upgrading of firmware.
· This research robot platform is used widely around the world in corporate research labs and
for academic robotics research.
· Robot can be configured to have between four and seven degrees of freedom to meet user
· Joint length can be customized to longer or shorter links.